I’ve had a grotty old lampshade in the spare room which i nearly threw out after the earthquakes, but I decided to hold on to it, thinking I’d do something crafty with it. Well it has sat and sat. My sister and I were sitting around wasting the day (it’s gloomy, cold and grey outside) when I suddenly said “we should get crafty”.
Out came the lampshade, my guillotine, my craft glue, and some photocopied music and we transformed the lightshade. It’s not quite finished – I’d like to put some large black treble clef images on the seams to hide the fact that we were amateurs and it doesn’t quite line up – but for our first attempt at covering a lampshade, I thought we did well.
We didn’t take the old cover off as the lining had broken in the earthquake. I didn’t think I could do the lampshade just from the frame, seeing this is the first time I’ve attempted something like this. figured we’d just look and see how it went, otherwise it will finally go out!
For anyone who is interested, the music was “clair de lune” – and it was a version too hard to play, so I soaked the photocopies in tea to “age” them.